PSL summon Bosso, DeMbare over violence

Lovemore dube

THE Premier Soccer League management has wasted no time in attending to the case of the abandoned match between Dynamos and Highlanders FC, summoning both clubs to a disciplinary hearing in Harare on September 26.

After 38 minutes of action, play was stopped after a clash between Bosso striker Mckinnon Mushore and DeMbare’s Keith Madera.

The away supporters felt Madera who missed the ball had caught Mushore on the inside of his right ankle.

Mushore walked out of Barbourfields Stadium with a visibly swollen ankle. Feeling robbed of several calls, Bosso who had as early as the 15th minute shown dissatisfaction with Allen Bhasvi’s handling of the match, felt he was not blowing for fouls on their skilful duo of Elshaamar Farasi, Ray Lunga, and Mushore who appeared victims of opponents’ tackles.

In summons issued to both clubs and surprise Peter Muduhwa, the PSL said the hearings would be in Harare on September 26. Highlanders have been charged for causing the abandonment of the match, missile throwing, pitch invasion, acts of violence and malicious damage to property. Flags and nets on the Soweto End were damaged by angry fans. Highlanders vice-captain Peter Muduhwa, who appeared not to have been cautioned for any misdemeanour during the chaos, has also been summoned.

His charge: “Peter Muduhwa is being accused of inciting violence and improper behaviour which brings the League into disrepute.”

Dynamos who were the home side, were charged with pitch invasion, missile throwing and acts of violence.

After play was stopped in the 38th minute, fans on the Soweto End descended on the police details who were forced to retreat to avoid deadly confrontation. Dynamos fans, some visibly drunk, jumped onto the field as Highlanders fans advanced leading to clashes among the supporters as police were clearly overwhelmed by the numbers.

Police eventually used tear smoke to disperse crowds outside the stadium and some cars were damaged.

Eight people including four Zimbabwe Republic Police details were injured, treated and discharged.

Police have confirmed that 19 people have been arrested and are due to appear in court for their actions.

A number of people especially those with underlying conditions like asthma fainted from the effects of tear smoke that filled the air at Barbourfields Stadium and neighbourhood.

It is not the first time that matches involving the two teams have ended prematurely or there has been violence.

Meanwhile, police in Bulawayo yesterday released a list of the 19 people arrested for their part in the fracas that left even children vulnerable at what was seemingly an exciting game with plenty of goalmouth action.

The 19 are Raymond Nkomo (25) of Makokoba, Noboth Sithole of Mzilikazi, Sylvester Gumbo (30) of Old Pumula, Sherperd Ncube (26) of BMC, Wisdom Dube (30) of Nkulumane, Sherperd Dube 924) of Ngozi Mine, Raymond Nkomo (26) of Makokoba, Micah Masuku (49) of Makokoba, Zibusiso Nkomo (32) of Old Lobengula, Nelson Musengi (27) of Phelandaba West, Brian Moyo (36) of New Luveve, Willard Ncube (46) of Pumula South, Khumbulani Khumalo (490 of Sauerstown, Promise Mbambo (37) of Makokoba, Hlakanipha Luphahla (28) of Old Pumula, Japhet Ncube (30) of Cowdray Park, Brandon Mpala (27) of Masiyephambili Flats, Ayanda Dube (33) of Old Pumula and Prince Moyo (35) Old Pumula.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *