Fight over music turns tragic

Gibson Mhaka

THE late Insimbi ZeZhwane lead vocalist and guitarist Elvis “MaEli” Mathe and drummer Thembinkosi “Maviri” Mpofu who tragically lost their lives in a fatal accident in August must be surely turning in their graves after a man was stabbed to death following an argument over whether their band Insimbi Zezhwane’s music was much better than that of Amathonga Amahle.

An argument over Insimbi Zezhwane and Amathonga Amahle’s music is said to have led to the death of Ntando Nkomo from Ndutshwa Village under Chief Masendu, Madlambuzi area in Plumtree, Matabeleland South province after being allegedly stabbed by Mayenziwe Sibanda (19) from the same village.

Circumstances are that on 31 August at around 7 pm Daniel Ndlovu, Vincent Sibanda, Sisonke Nkomo, Mayenziwe and the now deceased Ntando were on their way to Huwana Business Centre when a misunderstanding arose between Ntando and Mayenziwe, on whose band’s music was better between Insimbi Zezhwane and Amathonga Amahle.

It is reported that the now deceased was insisting that Insimbi Zezhwane’s music was better than that of Amathonga Amahle, something Mayenziwe was vehemently disputing.

Along the way and when they were close to Huwana Primary School they reportedly started shoving each other before Daniel, Vincent and Sisonke restrained them and proceeded with their journey to Huwana Shopping Centre.

It is alleged that at around 8pm when they were at Huwana Business Centre Daniel, Vincent and Sisonke left the now deceased and Mayenziwe at Ndex’s Bar while they were going to MaMoyo’s Shop which is a few metres away.

It is further reported that after a few minutes and while inside the shop the trio heard a voice which was calling for help from Daniel and when they rushed outside the shop to see what was happening they were shocked to see Ntando lying on the floor while bleeding profusely from his right thigh.

While writhing in agony he told them that he had been stabbed with an okapi knife by Mayenziwe.

Daniel then quickly phoned Ntando’s mother informing her about what had happened.

The now deceased’s mother swiftly arrived at the scene in the company of Brighton Ndlovu who was driving his vehicle which was used to ferry

Ntando to Huwana Clinic where he was attended to before he was referred to Plumtree District Hospital.

Instead of going to the hospital Ntando was taken home where he slept while waiting to be taken to Plumtree District Hospital the following day.

That following day (1 September) and at around 7am Ntando reportedly died while at home.

The matter was reported to the police and investigations led to the arrest of Mayenziwe.

He has since appeared before Plumtree magistrate Joshua Nembaware charged with murder.

He was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody to 18 September 2023.

The magistrate advised him to apply for bail at the High Court.

Voster Makuwerere appeared for the State.

In a related incident, a 57-year-old man from South Village, under Chief Bezu in Plumtree appeared before the same magistrate facing charges of allegedly fatally stabbing a 21-year-old man following a misunderstanding after he had confronted him while demanding R500 being the money which he had paid him as compensation for sleeping with his wife.

The now deceased Melusi Ngwenya was allegedly stabbed in the neck with an okapi knife by Benn Ngwenya after he reportedly refused to pay him R500 being the money which he had paid him as compensation for having an affair with his wife Litha Mandlenya.

Circumstances are that on 10 September and at about 6pm Benn left home going to Zama Zama shops to pay his wife’s airtime credit.

When he arrived at the shops he found the now deceased sitting by the veranda with his colleagues and greeted him before he got inside.

The now deceased followed him inside the shop and started demanding to be paid back his R500 which he paid him in March this year as compensation for having an affair with his wife.

The now deceased reportedly started threatening that he was going to harm Benn if he refused to pay him back the money, adding that headman Bidi who was there when he took the money from him was not around to rescue him.

Thembinkosi “Maviri” Mpofu

Sensing danger Benn left the shops heading to his home and the now deceased reportedly followed him.

An argument ensued along the way and at the height of it, the now deceased grabbed a log trying to hit Benn with it but he missed him.

In revenge Benn took an okapi knife from his pair of trousers’ pockets and stabbed the now deceased once below the neck.

The now deceased bled profusely before falling on the ground, about 10 metres away from where he had been stabbed.

After stabbing Melusi, Benn proceeded to the village head Misheck Mabhunu and told him what had happened.

The village head referred him to the police at Mlomwe Base.

Instead of going to Mlomwe Police Base, Benn went to his homestead where he also narrated the incident to his wife who accompanied him to the police where he surrendered himself together with a blood-stained brown okapi knife which he used to stab Melusi with.

The following day and at around 7 am police attended the scene.

On the same day his body was ferried to Plumtree District Hospital mortuary for a post mortem and murder charges were subsequently filed against Benn.

When he appeared in court he was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody to 27 September. The magistrate also advised him to apply for bail at the High Court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *